In getting this assignment, I thought it was going to be the simplest thing ever. Big deal, I have cut and tape paper to make a mask and then draw it, what can be so hard about that? Well, to say the least, lets just say I was majorly wrong. This was the hardest project assigned to me yet. It literally took me about 20 different attempts to get my mask to where it currently is and I am still not 100% satisfied with it. I can honestly say that the process of creating and then drawing the mask has really taught me a lot. Also, I really had to explore the elements and principals of design to get not only the mask how I wanted it, but to get my drawing to where it is at as well.
When making the mask I learned that this is more of a trial and error project. This is extremely true because it’s hard to know where to score everything and how to bend and tape things in order to get the desired look. Just one little mistake messes up the entire section of the mask that you are working on- therefore if you mess up you have to restart the section because more than likely it wont be salvageable. I also learned that tape and I don’t get along too well either. I couldn’t get the tape to hold where I wanted it to because the tension of the paper trying to straighten out when you do a sharp angle just tears the tape or rips it off of the paper. I was getting tremendously aggravated because of this. Eventually I just resorted in to using glue- and not just any glue, but hot glue. That wasn’t one of my best decisions in my life because it is super messy, but it holds the paper where you want it a heck of a lot better then the tape does. If I were to re-do it, I most definitely would not use glue, but instead use a better tape. I learned from the creation of my mask that it is very time consuming and you just have to stay cool, calm and collective.
Accompanying my mask, I was also required to have a complete drawing of it using a light source and demonstrate that I understand different values. Having no art background, besides my month of college, this was really difficult for me. I also found this to be kind of trial and error as well. I drew the comprehensive drawing 3 times before I finally got a finished product that I was happy with. I just experienced trouble getting my drawing to represent the mask that I made. Finally I just took a brake and completely forgot about it and then came back to the drawing the next day and knocked it out. I was just getting so worked up because things weren’t exactly the same in my drawing as they were in real life. Eventually, I realized that I was crazy because that is impossible. I also came to the realization that the fluctuations in a drawing compared to what’s in real life are what make the drawing unique.
When drawing my mask, I found that a lot of elements and principals of design came into play. Firstly, with the light sketch I did, before going over the image with charcoal, I really focused on scale, space and emphasis. I focused on the scale because I wanted the drawing of my mask to look like if fit on the page and I wanted to make sure that is wasn’t to big or small. To my surprise, it’s actually scaled to almost actual size. Secondly, I focused on space because I didn’t want my mask to overlap the page anywhere. I also focused on emphasis, because I wanted the position of my drawing to be in a good place. I knew from the start that I didn’t want it centered because, well, that’s just boring in my opinion. When observing how the light hit my mask, I noticed that the mask was casting a shadow down wards and lurking pretty far over to the right. This observation helped me decide that I wanted my mask positioned to the left on my paper. When darkening my image with charcoal, my main focus was to really get my values on point. This was important to me because if you can get shadows and highlights in their appropriate spots, its created a 3 dimensional feel along with various visual perspectives. Looking at my drawing, I don’t think that I did that bad.
Elements and principals of design were really important to the drawing process of this project. Technical skills dominated the actual construction of the mask. A project that I originally that was a joke, turned tout to be one of the hardest projects that I’ve done so far. No only that, but this was the best learning experience if has so far as well. Even tough, at times, it was really aggravating and I just wanted to quit, I am so impressed with the final results. Even though they are not 100% how I want them to be, I am still extremely happy with the outcome.