(Here is an overview of the sky background that I made.)
Storyline and Characters
So, for this project, basically the whole idea was mine. I mentioned to my group that I wanted to do something that I really haven’t seen before and make a game that’s assets were mainly photograph based. I also wanted to use parallax imagery to create a sense of dimension but still keep the 2-D feel of the game that we were going for. After proposing all of this to my group, they loved it and we decided to roll with it.
This first thing I thought of was the characters. I decided to use a whale and an elephant because of some connection they have historically in some beliefs. It is believed that whales are just elephants that decided to live in water and adapted. So, I thought that would be an interesting concept to play around with. So after figuring that out I know I wanted the whale to fly because I honestly think the idea behind that is pretty dope. I found the image of the whale and elephant that I wanted to use. I sent them to Jeremy and left it to him to cut them out of their backgrounds and turn them to png’s and animate them. I also let him find the wings for the whale and airplane for the elephant as well.
My idea for the game was to have this whale that was obsessed with flying and that is all she ever daydreamed about. Then, the elephant just wants to be noticed by the whale but the whale is just to busy wanting to fly and thinking about it. Finally the elephant gets what he wants and get’s the whales attention. He finds these pills that if taken would cause the whale to grow wings and fly and the whale loved the elephant dearly for that. Unfortunately for the elephant, after the whale took the pills and started flying, thats all she cared about. The only thing on her mind was to stay flying. The elephant got mad and threw the pills into the sky and they spread all across the sky. Now, the whale is in a rush to collect all the pills before the effects of the pills wear off and she looses her wings.
Originally, we loaded the background in as one long image, but unfortunately it was so large that unity could not handle it. What we ended up doing was cutting it up into six different sections and having them spawn onto the screen when we needed them and die when they were off the screen. This made it a lot easier for unity to load the pictures and substantially improved the performance of out game. I had to do this with all of our very long images.
(Overview of mid ground)